Thursday, September 16, 2010

Kale and Red Pepper Skillet Rice

This is not risotto...


I'm going to take some flak for this, but here goes... What's the deal with risotto anyway? And why do TV chefs make such a fuss over it? I understand it takes some patience and timing for a good batch, but I'm still not a fan. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but to me it's just mushy rice.

I prefer a rice dish that's drier and less starchy and with more texture. Brown rice fits the bill. Simmered with some veggies, some broth and a tiny bit of salty meat, it works as a complete meal - something with a lot of flavour that you can sink your teeth into.

I'm not into traditional bacon, but I'm sure it would be delicious in this recipe. I chose to use a bit of chicken bacon for added flavour and protein.


Kale and Red Pepper Skillet Rice
Serves 2

1 cup brown rice
2 slices of chicken bacon
1 red pepper
2 cups of chopped kale
1 medium onion
1 large clove garlic
2 cups of vegetable broth
1 cup of water
2 tablespoons of olive oil, more as needed

Note: You'll also need a large deep frying pan with a lid.

In a large frying pan, brown bacon and set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauteĆ© onion and red pepper until soft. Add chopped kale and garlic and sauteĆ© until kale is wilted.


Push the vegetables to the side of the pan and add the uncooked rice. Cook for 3-5 minutes stirring often. Add the broth and water. Chop the bacon and sprinkle it on top. Give it all a stir and bring liquid to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer on low, covered, until rice is completely cooked. Season with salt and pepper.


Thanks to Steph at mmmm good for providing me with proof that I wasn't imagining Chef Ramsey and that line about the risotto....

1 comment:

  1. i agree! bunch of mush. (good in soups though, to make them thick!)

    this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback! - Prairie Lemon

Please note: Comments are moderated, so yours may not appear immediately. You could always try a recipe while you're waiting!