Thursday, April 15, 2010

Salmon Cakes

Here...fishy, fishy, fishy.

This is one of my favorite "I don't know what to make for dinner!" recipes. Keep a can of salmon in the pantry and you can have a delicious and somewhat elegant meal in a matter of minutes.

For this and many other recipes, I like to cook with grapeseed oil. I learned about it a couple of years ago after my mom told me she uses it for salad dressings. And, I've noticed it popping up more on supermarket shelves in the last few years. It is less likely to burn than olive oil, and has a mild, neutral flavour. 

Salmon Cakes

Serves 2

1 can of wild pacific salmon
1 chopped green onion
1/3 cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tablespoon of Miracle Whip*
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
1 egg white
sea salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon of parsley (use fresh herbs if you have them)
grapeseed oil

Blend first 8 ingredients in a bowl and form into 4 patties. Heat grapeseed oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook patties for about 5 minutes until lightly browned and patty feels firm. Flip and brown the other side, about another 5 minutes.



I served the salmon cakes over quinoa with roasted asparagus on the side.

*For better or for worse, Miracle Whip is a prairie staple. If you know of a prairie cookbook that doesn't use it in at least one recipe, I'd like to hear about it! Substitute mayonnaise or another type of salad dressing if you prefer.

1 comment:

Thanks for your feedback! - Prairie Lemon

Please note: Comments are moderated, so yours may not appear immediately. You could always try a recipe while you're waiting!