Sunday, October 3, 2010

Green Salad with Pears and Cranberries

Last fall I re-discovered pears thanks to the gift of a generous gardener. I received a huge basket of them - freshly picked. And after the basket was gone and all throughout the winter, I found myself craving them and seeking them out - forgoing my usual winter fruit choices - apples, bananas and oranges.

This year, I was lucky enough to help pick them.


All this from a single tree...


Aren't they beautiful? I see these and I understand why artists paint still lifes.


I had planned to make a pear tart, thinking that the basket would ripen all at once. But I've had a lovely bunch in my fridge for weeks now and putting one or two out at a time seems to have kept them just perfect for eating.

I decided to use a few in a salad. I wanted a recipe that would benefit from their subtle sweetness. Here's what I came up with:

Green Salad with Pears and Cranberries
Serves 2

Mixed Field Greens (buy a blend or make your own with the following: arugula, radicchio, romaine lettuce, baby spinach, frisee)
2 ripe Bartlett pears
2 Tablespoons of dried cranberries
2 Tablespoons of roasted sunflower seeds
2 slices of dense multi grain bread
2 Tablespoons + 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon whole grain (also called old-fashioned) Dijon mustard
sea salt and black pepper

Step 1: Make Croutons
In a large frying pan, heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Cut bread into cubes and grill over low heat until the oil is absorbed and the cubes are browned and crisp.


Step 2: Make Dressing
In a small bowl combine remaining oil, vinegar, mustard and salt and pepper to taste.

Step 3: Prepare fruits and vegetables
Wash and dry greens and tear into pieces. Wash and core the pears. If the skins are a bit tough, you can peel them. Then slice them into wedges.


Step 4: Toss
Just before serving, gently toss everything together in a large bowl. Add the croutons just before tossing with the dressing so they stay crisp. Be careful not to crush the pears. Adjust seasoning and serve at room temperature.


I realize in this photo you can't see the pears very well, but they're in there!

1 comment:

  1. those pears are beautiful, i like what you said about still life painting. and i like how you made your own croutons!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback! - Prairie Lemon

Please note: Comments are moderated, so yours may not appear immediately. You could always try a recipe while you're waiting!