Saturday, October 2, 2010

Vanilla Maple Blueberry Cake

Birthday surprise....

This post is long overdue. A while back, I had a birthday. And I must have been hinting pretty hard about wanting a cake. In fact, I know I was. 

A few days before my birthday, Mr. PL and I were watching something on TV and someone was messing up some baking...dropping the egg right into the flour or something like that. I wondered aloud about how it was they didn't know about 'wet' and 'dry' ingredients. Mr. PL said..."I guess baking's a lot like chemistry." Well, I saw my chance.

"Have you ever baked anything?" I asked. "Like cookies? Or a cake?"

"No, I don't think I have," he said.

"Hmmm. You should try it sometime," was my casual reply.

Now, I wasn't hinting with the expectation that my subtle 'request' would be at all acknowledged. But in the back of my mind I thought, "Wouldn't it be sweet if he got my drift and baked me a cake for my birthday?" Poor guys...I mean really. It's no wonder they never know what we're taking about.

Much to my delight, I arrived home on my birthday to find a beautiful cake. And, a funny story about how he tried to blend a hard block of butter with some water and a hand blender, only to end up with butter on the walls. Some of the butter stayed in the bowl and made it into the batter in chunks. His rationale: they'll melt. Well, he was right - the cake was delicious!

He also surprised me with a set of photos that I could post on my blog. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story...

Vanilla...


Maple...


Blueberry....


Cake!


Sweet :)

4 comments:

  1. hey, thanks for joining the dive! definitely a sweet story ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nAwh, how sweet! Ad I laughed when you said "Poor guys...I mean really. It's no wonder they never know what we're taking about." Soooo true! I find myself doing the same thing! lol! ;)

    I'm stopping by from i made it so's friday archive dive "love". (I know, I'm a week overdue!) I hope you'll do the same! You can find mine @ http://sofiasideas.com/2011/02/12/valentines-day-the-non-conformist-way-2/

    Sofia's Ideas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback! - Prairie Lemon

Please note: Comments are moderated, so yours may not appear immediately. You could always try a recipe while you're waiting!